Sundog is adding an Assistant Fiction Editor
Sundog Lit would like to solicit the skills of someone with a passion for writing and publishing fiction.
- Reading fiction submissions, assisting in soliciting pieces, and collaborating in the selection of work for the journal
- Working with Sundog staff and writers throughout the editing process
- Assisting the Sundog team with social media marketing, as well as planning upcoming issues and the direction of the magazine
A few notes on our work and aesthetic:
- Sundog is a highly collaborative effort, and whoever we bring on board will quickly become a full and valued member of the team.
- As always, we are passionate about contributing to a literary culture that continually evaluates what barriers prevent any author, including and especially writers of color and LGBTQ+ writers, from joining the community, and works to remove those barriers.
- Because of our commitment to the previous point, we are less interested in the sorts of stories we’ve seen elsewhere in lit-journal-world. Stories in which something happens, preferably in some unique setting or situation, are the ones that draw us in. The common (and perhaps inevitable) themes of contemporary literary fiction, from career ennui to new parenthood to stagnating relationships, need something creative to stand out to us.
- We would love to participate in the larger discussion of necessary changes to the relationship between authors and lit journals, focused especially on submissions, submission marketing, rejection, and feedback practices. Our thinking regarding these issues is still developing, but it’s on the top of our minds.
Some experience in the literary publishing world as a reader or editor would be nice, but not necessary. Effective, open, and prompt communication skills are a must, as is the ability to work independently and meet deadlines.
This is an unpaid position, as are all positions at Sundog Lit.
If you are interested, submit a letter of interest, including your experience in the field, and any relevant work you’d like us to see, with “Assistant Fiction Editor” in the title, to Sundoglit@gmail.com. Application deadline is October 1st.