What do we want? We want someone who has experience in publishing and editing poetry, has a strong editorial vision, and sympathizes with our mission:
- publishing pieces that engage with tension, introspection, empathy, consider positionality, form play, emotional courage, and musicality.
- uplifting voices from all corners in hopes of breaking down ideas of who is widely read and rebelling against power structures that stifle expression.
- assisting Sundog in being a platform for artists to showcase their vital work while participating in the wider literary community.
Other Experience & Skills
- Effective and open communication
- Ability to work independently and meet deadlines
- A portfolio of poetry published across a range of literary magazines
- Keeping up on submission queue
- Soliciting authors
- Working with writers to edit work for biannual issues
- Promoting the magazine and its writers
- Assisting in maintaining Sundog’s Facebook and Twitter feeds
- Participating in web meetings with Sundog staff
A few notes on our work and aesthetic:
- Sundog is a highly collaborative effort and whoever we bring on board will become a full and valued member of our team.
- As always, we are passionate about contributing to a literary culture that continually evaluates what barriers prevent any author, including and especially writers of color and LGBTQ+ writers, from joining the community and works to remove those barriers.
In light of the latter point above, applications from those identifying as BIPOC and LGBTQIA+ are especially encouraged.
If interested, send a letter of interest, a C.V., and any relevant work or samples to SundogLit@gmail.com with “Poetry Editor” in the subject line by July 15.
This is an unpaid position (as we’re a non-profit and don’t pay ourselves).