With Issue 8 of Sundog Lit (our first print issue), we will be publishing the winners of the 1st annual Sundog Lit Contest Series, with winners in fiction, nonfiction, and poetry.
All entries will be accepted through Submittable between October 1st, 2014, and January 1st, 2015.
The winner in each category will receive $100 and two copies of Issue 8. Runners-up will be considered for publication in Issue 8.
2014 Judge: Mary Miller
Mary Miller is the author of two books, Big World and The Last Days of California. Her stories have appeared in McSweeney’s Quarterly, American Short Fiction, Oxford American, and many others. She currently serves as the John and Renée Grisham Writer in Residence at the University of Mississippi.
2014 Judge: Elisa Gabbert
Elisa Gabbert is the author of The Self Unstable, a collection of lyric essays (Black Ocean, 2013), and The French Exit, a poetry collection (Birds LLC, 2010). She lives in Denver. Follow her on Twitter at @egabbert.
2014 Judge: Elena Passarello
Elena Passarello is an essayist and performer whose debut collection, Let Me Clear My Throat, received the gold medal for nonfiction at the 2013 Independent Publisher Book Awards and was a 2014 Oregon Book Award finalist. Her essays have appeared in Oxford American, Slate, Iowa Review, Creative Nonfiction, Normal School, the music writing anthology Pop When the World Falls Apart, and the forthcoming anthologies After Montaigne and I’ll Tell You Mine. She teaches nonfiction in the MFA program at Oregon State University.
- $5 entry fee for one story or essay or up to 3 poems. Stories and essays should not exceed 3,000 words.
- All entries should be submitted through Submittable. Any email submissions will be deleted unread.
- Multiple entries per person are fine, but you must pay the entry fee for each entry.
- Judges will read and rank finalists blind and will choose winners and runners-up.
- Simultaneous submissions are encouraged. Please withdraw your entry immediately if your work is accepted elsewhere.