We are not sure if it’s the new critter update in Animal Crossing or the fact that there are cicadas buzzing in the trees and fireflies lighting up our dark drives home, but we’ve got a craving for some writing about bugs. So here’s a little writing exercise for you: Write poetry or prose in which your narrator or character sees a bug.
Doesn’t matter what type of critter or season you choose, just go for it. If you need some inspiration, check out this list of bug-related writing that our editors curated:
- Agatha Remembers Her Childhood by Alexis Orgera
- Beetroot by Lindsey Gates-Markel
- Dear X by Katie Schmid
- Emily Dickinson Didn’t Have a Boyfriend by Sarah Bates
- Mercy by Rudy Francisco and Allowables by Nikki Giovanni
- Ode to the Maggot by Yusef Komunyakaa
- When I See the Toad by Allison Wyss
And if and when you’re ready to share, make sure to @ us on Twitter. Can’t wait to see your work!