We have openings for those more experienced with editing and publishing and for those who are fairly new to the scene but are enthusiastic about engaging in the literary world:
Creative Nonfiction Editor
What do we want? We want someone who has experience in publishing and editing creative nonfiction, has a strong editorial vision, and sympathizes with our mission:
- publishing pieces that engage with tension, introspection, empathy, consider positionality, form play, emotional courage, and musicality.
- uplifting voices from all corners in hopes of breaking down ideas of who is widely read and rebelling against power structures that stifle expression.
- assisting Sundog in being a platform for artists to showcase their vital work while participating in the wider literary community.
Other Experience & Skills
- Effective and open communication
- Ability to work independently and meet deadlines
- A portfolio of creative nonfiction published across a range of literary magazines
- Working with team to interview and hire assistant nonfiction editors.
- Keeping up on submission queue
- Guiding and collaborating with two assistant nonfiction editors
- Soliciting authors
- Working with writers to edit work for biannual issues
- Promoting the magazine and its writers
- Assisting in maintaining Sundog’s Facebook and Twitter feeds
- Participating in web meetings with Sundog staff
A few notes on our work and aesthetic:
- Sundog is a highly collaborative effort and whoever we bring on board will become a full and valued member of our team.
- As always, we are passionate about contributing to a literary culture that continually evaluates what barriers prevent any author, including and especially writers of color and LGBTQ+ writers, from joining the community and works to remove those barriers.
In light of the latter point above, applications from those identifying as BIPOC and LGBTQIA+ are especially encouraged.
If interested, send a letter of interest, a C.V., and any relevant work or samples to SundogLit@gmail.com with “Creative Nonfiction Editor” in the subject line by July 1.
This is an unpaid position (as we’re a non-profit and don’t pay ourselves).
Assistant Creative Nonfiction Editor
Sundog Lit would like to solicit the skills of someone with a passion for writing and publishing creative nonfiction.
- Reading creative nonfiction submissions, assisting in soliciting pieces, and collaborating in the selection of work for the journal
- Working with Sundog staff and writers throughout the editing process
- Assisting the Sundog team with social media marketing, as well as planning upcoming issues and the direction of the magazine
A few notes on our work and aesthetic:
- Sundog is a highly collaborative effort, and whoever we bring on board will quickly become a full and valued member of the team.
- As always, we are passionate about contributing to a literary culture that continually evaluates what barriers prevent any author, including and especially writers of color and LGBTQ+ writers, from joining the community, and works to remove those barriers.
- Because of our commitment to the previous point, we are less interested in the sorts of stories we’ve seen elsewhere in lit-journal-world. Stories in which something happens, preferably in some unique setting or situation, are the ones that draw us in. The common (and perhaps inevitable) themes of contemporary literary creative nonfiction, from career ennui to new parenthood to stagnating relationships, need something creative to stand out to us.
- We would love to participate in the larger discussion of necessary changes to the relationship between authors and lit journals, focused especially on submissions, submission marketing, rejection, and feedback practices. Our thinking regarding these issues is still developing, but it’s on the top of our minds.
Some experience in the literary publishing world as a reader or editor would be nice, but not necessary. Effective, open, and prompt communication skills are a must, as is the ability to work independently and meet deadlines.
This is an unpaid position, as are all positions at Sundog Lit.
If you are interested, submit a letter of interest, including your experience in the field, and any relevant work you’d like us to see, with “Assistant Nonfiction Editor” in the title, to Sundoglit@gmail.com.
Application deadline is July 1.